Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Rewards of Volunteerism

This semester I have had time to give back to the community. Participating in various forms of service throughout Dallas has been such a reward! From teaching dance (via BigThought) to underpriveledged kids at Marcus Elementary to assisting a Club Volleyball coach, I've had a wonderful time. All these experiences have been an excellent way to have fun while also helping the community.
I remember the first time I experienced the true joy of serving others. Alongside my friend Kristen Simmons, I helped run an elementary school's Father-Daughter Dance. Working with my best friend was an adventure and made the work seem to fly by a lot quicker! The fifth form girls were a joy to be around as I watched over the sign-in and crafts (along with keeping the girls from having their own party, without their fathers, in the girls bathroom : ) The Dance was a huge success and I’m glad I had the chance to view what the occasion was like (since I had never attended a Father Daughter dance before).
Needless to say, however, assisting with a nearby Club Volleyball team has been one of my favorite parts of serving this year. Helping the girls train for their meets and then later going on my own time to see them perform (aka the results of my labors haha) has been a very neat experience. I will miss them all now that the experience has come to an end.
Volunteering has sparked my desire to continue to serve with other organizations (like NSCS and SPARC). Moreover, I am sure that volunteering at highschool’s annual Jubilee as an alumna is in store for the not too distant future. I think the service requirements I had to fulfill in highschool (although sometimes hectic to try to fit in) were a great opportunity for me not only in that it helped the community, but also helped me to grow as an individual.

No comments: