Friday, June 18, 2010

Acts of Violence in Fashion

The same writer who designed the highly controversial "I had an abortion" t-shirt has a new line. It reads "I was raped."

Jennifer Baumgardner says she created the shirt last April to bring rape into everyday conversation as a way of easing feelings of shame or fear that are common among victims. I know I personally would not feel empowered if I was a rape victim wearing the shirt. I think such a statement would not be worn by victims in the first place if many can barely speak about the incident to begin with.

I am interested to know how a rape victim feels about this shirt. I happen to know four women in my life who are close to me and have dealt with rape. Most of these beautiful ladies expressed their feelings that fashion was not the arena where the conversation needed started. They did, however, like the fact that the money went to support for rape victims, to include counseling services which many do not get.

Traumatic experiences such as "abortion" or "rape" are often personal, between that person and God. Speaking about the experience, however, is important. I am not sure how I feel about the t-shirt.

No comments: